Bloodeye

Bloodeye - Craig Saunders 4.5 stars.

Let's start with a partial quote from the book: "...because they were full of memories and memories are big fucking weights that sit on your mind and push down your shoulders."

I really, really like that line.

Bloodeye is my first experience with Craig Saunders's work. Dude is seriously talented. His sentences are bullets fired from a high-powered rifle. He does quite a bit of work with fragmented sentences, but I think they add to the urgency of anything horror or thriller related. I know some readers don't dig fragments, so consider yourselves warned. I found they fit perfectly here, and helped in creating a flow to the text that made this novella impossible to put down.

I have almost nothing bad to say about this book other than I did remove half a star because I wasn't completely thrilled with the ending, but that's only because I saw it coming way too early. It's not a twist, per se, but it was rather obvious where this tale was going to end, and that did detract from my overall enjoyment, albeit only slightly.

With that being said, I did like how everything came full circle. Mainly, I'm talking about the running. Seemed to be a theme throughout the book, both figuratively and literally. Books with themes simply do it for me, and I especially liked Saunders's take on shadows and memories. I have my own subjective reasoning for that.

In summation: Bloodeye was a terrific introduction to Saunders's work for me, and I will be looking up one of his novels very soon. Highly recommended for readers who like thematic horror with a concise message.