Shattered Review

Shattered - K.R. Dwyer, Dean Koontz

I was once a kid, and my mother had this epic hideaway called the Great Book Closet. Inside this cabinet of curiosities, I would be introduced to the likes of Stephen King and Robert R. McCammon and Dean R. Koontz. I also found some Peter Straub and John Saul in there, but that holds no bearing on our topic today.

What is today's topic? Well, the old Black/Neon Koontz books, that's what. This is the era of Koontz material that was released in paperback by Berkley books in the 70s and 80s. There are numerous novels in this category, and every damn one of them is good. If you find a Koontz book with a black cover, a simple image on the front, and a bright-as-fuck font used for the title and byline, read that mo' frakker.

Shattered is a simple-as-balls premise. Despite what Goodreads' catalogue says, the books is only 215 pages. It's more of a novella than an actual novel, and should only take you about five hours or less to complete. What makes this book stand out in the crowd is its antagonist, George Leland. He's one of Koontz's best baddies. No over-the-top, chiseled-hot-bod-rocket-cock, shades-wearing foodie like we've received over the past twenty years. Leland's character is as well developed as Alex and Colin, and I love that I felt a bit bad for the bad guy during the ending. Oh, and the ending? Koontz nails it! (Hahaha, I crack me up. Inside jokes for the win!).

In summation: Shattered significantly skirts a shitty showing by simply shining. S-s-s-s-motherfucker! Read it.

Final Judgment: A Volvo with a gun rack.