Rant Review

Rant - Chuck Palahniuk

It's not everyday you read a book about rabies, the origins of God, time travel, and bumper cars. Seeing that this is a Chuck Palahniuk book, I shouldn't be surprised that this novel hops barriers and barrels through genres without a single fuck given for your comfort or confusion level.

Buster "Rant" Casey can tell you what you had for breakfast three days ago, what kind of flowers you have waiting in a vase back at home, and whether your shower head is steel or bronze simply by eating your pussy. That's talent folks. Of course, all this is explained, but for a while all you can do is laugh. Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey is so fucking absurd that you will begin to think you are reading bizarro fiction. And then, about 2/3 of the way through, everything starts making a shade of lunatic sense. Before it's all over everything is explained and you're left wondering how in the Great Balls of CHrist Palahniuk managed to juggle all these different voices and plot threads into one cogent narrative.

Invisible Monsters is still my favorite of his works, but this is the new runner up. Sorry Choke, but this book is smarter than you. Don't feel bad. You're still good, but not as good as Rant

Funny side note: I didn't finish this the first time I read it because it seemed like a book full of character interviews and I fucking hate that shit. This time I powered through. Damn glad I did. All the fucking stars!

In summation: You'll need your thinking caps if you're going to appreciate this one. The book is written the way it is for a reason. Every character is important, and all thread tie together by the end. A lot of people will hate this book. I get that. But it does not deserve their hatred.

Final Judgment: Fight Club references are rad.