Randomized Randomocity #180 (Indie Author Edition)

Amazon must makes loads off all these authors who agree to buy each other's books for the rating/rankings boost. Let me explain.

If your book is priced under $2.99, Amazon only allows you to collect 35% royalties. So if your book is $0.99, you get 35 cents and they get 65 cents. Authors who price their books over $2.99 can choose to get 70% royalties. But Amazon is still getting 30% of your sales.

Meaning, all these authors who're boosting each other are doing nothing but lining Amazon's pockets. Because ranking boosting does not work unless it is on a major scale. You'd need hundreds of sales in a single hour to make a significant enough difference to hold a top spot in a top genre, like Romance or Thriller. Sure, you might hit something obscure like Top 100 in Feline-themed Cookbooks for Doglovers, but we all know that doesn't mean a damn thing. At the end of the day, the only winner here is Amazon.

No real point to this, and that's why it's a Randomized Randomocity post. I just find it funny that authors are still doing this, thinking it helps, when all they're really doing is lining Amazon's pockets.

*hugs and high fives*