Odd Interlude #3 (an Odd Thomas Story)

Odd Interlude #3 - Dean Koontz Hey, hey, hey! Glad to see you back for the final review.

I grew up reading Dean Koontz. Books like Twilight Eyes, The Bad Place, Cold Fire and Dragon Tears taught me a great many things about fiction. No matter how unrealistic the circumstances, as long as you care about the characters, anything can be possible. I think that, more than anything else, is why I loved the final novella in this Odd Thomas side quest. The dark fantastic is a grand place to get lost in, and Dean Koontz took me on a journey I will not soon forget.

Not since Kealan Patrick Burke's KIN have I been so terrified by a sequence of events in a novel. But this is a good kind of terror. Koontz garnered a reaction in me so severe that I read the final half of this novella with one eye closed. He scared the bejeebus out of me and that's not easy to do.

Odd finally meets the puppeteer of Harmony Corners and sees this man in all his terrible glory. I was riveted to my kindle, heart thundering in my chest and breath coming in shallow gasps. This is where this book succeeds the most. We all know Odd survives. He has another adventure after this (Odd Apocalypse) and yet another coming out in March of 2013 called Deeply Odd, yet Koontz managed to make me fear for Odd's life. I really didn't think our little fry cook would see the outside world again. I honestly believed he was finally going off to be with his girl, Stormy. Damn, this was a well told story.

This side quest has me seething with anticipation for Odd Apocalypse now, for one main reason. At the end of this novella, Odd tells us that he is going off to Roseland and that he will face horrors that trump the events of Odd Interlude. I find this highly unlikely, but we shall see. Given that this jaunt away from the main series has been the best thing Koontz has written in the past decade, the author seriously has his work cut out for him.

I just started the next book. I'll tell you what I think the moment I am done.

But, seriously, if you don't read any other Odd Thomas story, read this.

E.