Took: A Ghost Story (Review by Autumn)

Took: A Ghost Story - Mary Downing Hahn

Review by Autumn (my ten-year-old daughter). She would also like to thank everyone who liked her review of Doctor Who: The Drosten Curse.

Actual rating: 4.5 stars.

In August my dad was sent a free review copy of a ghost story. I really like how the book transitions from Daniel’s point of view (which is 1st person past tense) to 3rd person in some chapters. Daniel is a seventh-grade boy from Fairfield, Connecticut, who moves to Woodville, West Virginia. When he started school, everyone made fun of him and his sister. Erika is a little girl who is in second grade, and loves her doll that her mom got her, and she hates the big woods she lives around. The parents are very positive about the move at first, but as time goes by, they get sad, and angry with each other, and themselves.

The book begins with Daniel and his family driving to the house on the farm. When they first get to school, all the kids make fun of them. After that things got worse for the family. The parents got really bad jobs and weren't paid much, they start getting angry at each other and about the move. They have to eat frozen meals for dinner every night after Daniel complains about the meat being tough. Poor Erika starts having long conversations with her doll, when finally she is Took...

I really like this book. It is very well written, the plot is great, and the author develops the characters quickly. I would rate Took four and a half stars out of five. If you like ghostly or creepy stories, I think you would really enjoy this book.