GodBomb! Review (My Last Review or Post on Booklikes: Hope to see you elsewhere!)

GodBomb! - Kit Power

I was planning on writing a separate post saying goodbye to all you wonderful Booklikes users who I've gotten to know over the past three years, but I can't seem to get the site to load on the worst of days, and on the best of days, it takes forever to post over here because of how slow the site has become.

So this is my final post. Much love and thanks for all the support. Please believe that it's not you, it's this broken-ass site. I don't have the patience for it. I hope to see you guys elsewhere on the interwebs.

Oh, I probably wouldn't comment on this post if you want me to see it. This is the first time since my last review that this site has loaded for me. If you want to say goodbye (I wish you wouldn't because I'm loads of other places, like Wordpress and Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and Goodreads, to name a few), email me at edwardlorn@gmail.com. I'm not deleting my account because there are hundreds of reviews and posts here that I've linked to in other posts and guest blogs and such, so my account will still be here, but I won't.

*hugs and fist bumps and high fives all around*

Now for my review...

Exceptional. Far beyond all expectations I might have had regarding quality. I know most of my friends have given this novel high praise (that's how I came to read it), so I was expecting it to be good, but the writing herein is well above your average small-press or indie author. I'd even risk saying that Kit Power is one of the best writers working today, at any level of publishing. I'd have to read more of him, of course, but right now, I'm very impressed.

What Kit Power was able to accomplish with character development in such a short period of time matches the skills of Stephen King and Herman Koch. Power is not afraid to look deep into the hearts and minds of those he writers about. While the book reminded me a small bit of one of King's early novels, his Bachman book Rage, GodBombstands on its own legs. I would even say that Power's novel is better than Rage and Rage is one of my favorite Stephen King books.

The ending was the highlight of the book for me. Those who know me will understand why. I don't want to give even the subtlest of hints, because, while it's not necessarily a twist ending, it did shock me. I thought for sure we were headed one way, and Power took me a completely different direction. I can't say whether or not you'll be shocked, but that was my experience.

Being a opioid junkie of ole, I especially liked Mike's history. I did heroin in the late 90s and early 2000s, before I met my wife and managed to kick the illegal stuff, and currently am what they call a "functioning addict" because of my need for high-dose narcotic pain medicine due to a chronic back condition. I'm not sure if Kit Powers ever chased the dragon, but he sure nailed the character of Mike. Bravo.

I don't know nor will I theorize about Power's religious beliefs, or if he has any at all, but I believed that his characters were devout. If he's not a practicing Christian, I commend him for making these characters believable. It's hard to be respectful of characters with this level of faith if you're not a believer yourself. I know how hard that is. I ran into problems while writing one of my books, trying to make a Christian woman believable while keeping her from feeling overly silly. It's a testament to the power of this book that I found it so engaging when in reality I hate religion of any form. I don't mind religious people as long as they don't try to convert me every time we see each other, but I do hate the gimme-gimme structure of Christianity.

"Lord, please let my sports team win the big game."

"Lord, please let me win the lottery."

"Lord, gimme, gimme, gimme, Amen!"

Oh, and I can't forget the pastors and preachers of the world. But their gimme-gimme is called tithing. Then they can be like Joel Osteen in his million dollar mansion and say "These are just blessings! God is GOOD!" When translated, that statement reads "My congregation is GULLIBLE! Praise the Almighty Dollar!"

I've lost some of you, and that's okay. That means you won't be around for me to offend later. If you're still here, high five. Good job thinking for yourselves. *smooches*

In summation: Kit Power is a talented dude. While he reminds of the best, he's definitely got his own style. A style I image will be a pleasure to read for years to come.

Final Judgment: What a blast!